According to someone else’s research, the Liebster Award (which means “beloved” in German) probably started with this blog post back in 2010. Back then the rules were simple; graciously accept the award, then pass it onto three blogs with under 3000 followers. As you’ll see, the years have morphed it into something far more complex but at it’s core the idea has remained the same – it’s a way of giving small but worthy blogs exposure to a wider audience.
In some ways it sounds more like a chain letter than an award but the intent behind it seems fairly noble. It’s also the only blog award I’ve ever recieved, so I’m happy to push my cynicism into a dark little corner this time and just get on with it …
So, thankyou to In Da Campo for the nomination. She has a lovely blog that showcases the beauty of Panama, so be sure to check it out.
11 Random Facts About Me:
- My first job was as a kitchen hand at a local restaurant. I was paid under the table for less than minimum wage. The boss laughed in my face when I asked for a raise.
- I also worked as a party DJ for a while. At the end of one night, I stopped the music and the birthday girl (who was turning 30) was so unhappy with me that she threatened to cut me. At least, I think that’s what she said – she was slurring very badly so I can’t be sure.
- I have third-degree-burn scar tissue on about 40% of my body due to an accident at work a few years ago.
- I was once sent to the school principal because I cut my shirt with a pair of scissors for no reason.
- The highest peak I’ve climbed is Mt. Kinabalu in Malaysia (4.1 km above sea level).
- I’m not fussy about food. There were a few things I didn’t like when I met D but she convinced me that most of them are actually quite good when cooked properly. I still hate durian though.
- I was once put in a mini-group for the smart kids in my class but was kicked out for being too argumentative.
- I had an irrational fear of water for a long time. It took me 3 years to pass the first stage of swimming lessons because I refused to put my face under the water.
- I met my first girlfriend at a meeting of the Joss Whedon Appreciation Society (creator of Buffy, Angel, Firefly). This is another way of saying that I’m a geek.
- My username isn’t an exaggeration. People ask me all the time if I play basketball. The honest answer is I did, for two years in high school … and I absolutley hated it.
- I am a vocal advocate of pineapple on pizzas and in burgers.
11 Questions from In Da Campo:
When was the last time someone made you laugh really hard?
D and I make each other laugh a lot. The last time would have been me laughing at her or with her but I can’t remember when it was.
When you woke up this morning, what was the first thought that ran through your head? (Skip to the second thing if the first isn’t clean!)
The first thought was probably “where’s my phone?” as I would have been woken up by the phone’s alarm going off. After that, my second thought would have been “I can’t be bothered getting up. Snooze.”
Look behind you, what do you see?
Not too exciting. Some of the offices where I work have an amazing view of the sea but on my side of the building I just get a view of our warehouse, which I’ve closed the blinds on because I don’t need the warehouse guys spying on me.
Think of the stupidest thing you have ever done and share it with us. Okay, maybe the second stupidest thing.
Ranking the stupid things I’ve done would take the better part of a week, but somewhere in the list would be the time I tried to break up a fight between strangers in the rough part of a local party district. After the second punch to the face, I decided to sit it out.
What is the most important thing about you and why?
The most important thing is that I have an amazing wife, family and group of friends. Why’s that important? Because it stops me from becoming a crazy hermit!
Dog, cat or fish and why?
I was recently given definitive proof that I’m allergic to cats, and fish seem a bit dull, so that leaves dogs. Unfortunately D isn’t a dog person but we might get one at some point.
Do you speak another language, what is it, and if you don’t, what language would you like to learn and why?
I studied Indonesian for years in school but finished up not being able to speak it at all. I then met D, who can speak Malay (very similar to Indonesian) which made me wish I’d paid more attention in class. Since then I’ve managed to teach myself a bit but it’s not very impressive. I also have various dialects of Chinese spoken around me a lot these days, so that’d be good to know – but Chinese is really difficult!
What country (that you haven’t been to) would you love to visit and why?
I’m something of a Japanophile, which should be no surprise seeing as one of my most popular posts is a review of every movie released by a Japanese film studio. It just seems like a fascinating place in every respect; traditional culture, contemporary pop culture, nature, history …
One word to describe yourself.
What was the best present you ever received and why?
A Super Nintendo system from my parents. I loved video games as a kid but rarely got to play them, as we didn’t have a console at home. My parents were probably scared that if they gave me one I would never stop playing it. They were right to be scared.
What is the first word that comes to mind when you see fireworks?
“Oooohh” … followed by “purdy”.
Nominate 11 Blogs for the Award with Under 200 Followers
I thought it would be difficult to find 11 blogs I like with so few followers – but it wasn’t. It was a bit of a shock and it made me even less cynical about the Liebster concept. If it helps a few more people discover these blogs, it can’t be a bad thing …
Pattaya Daze – New posts every day, with the most amazing photos of bugs and little creatures.
The Autist Artist – A wonderful insight into the world of a young woman who has Asperger’s syndrome and synesthesia (which means she can see music). It has been over a year since her last post but perhaps she’ll pick it up again.
Olga Overseas – Days in the life of an Icelandic Perth girl who recently moved back to her mother country.
Dalton’s Art – A cool art blog centred around animal paintings. Check out this video of her bringing life to an owl …
Unwatchable – Another blog that hasn’t been updated for a long time. But I hope he comes back and finishes the arduous journey he began in 2009 (to watch and review every movie in the IMDB Bottom 100 ).
Polka Dots and Sparkles – Knitting, music and other ramblings from a fellow Perthian.
I’m Esther - The diary of a med student from South Korea studying in London.
Backpacking Rats – A wonderful way to introduce yourself to the joys of pet rat ownership.
Evin’s Photos - Great photos, apparently by a 9 year old kid. Long overdue for an update though.
Meandering Mementos – The blog of a friend of mine who recently left home for a teaching job in Thailand.
And 11 questions for my nominees:
- Do you think there is intelligent life on other planets?
- What is your favourite movie of all time?
- If you had a pet hippopotamus, what would you name it?
- What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
- What’s your favourite travel memory?
- Would you ever want to be the political leader of your country?
- What advice would you give to the young you? (Let’s say they’re half your current age).
- What advice do you want the much older you to never forget?
- What era of music was/is the best?
- Those little black bits in bananas – are they tarantula’s eggs?
- Who do you know that doesn’t blog, that you think should?
Phew, all done! So nominees, if you want to just feel nice about being nominated and leave it at that, you’re more than welcome. But if you want to take it further, create your own post with 11 facts about yourself, answers to my questions, 11 blogs that you like and 11 new questions for them. I look forward to reading what you have to say.